Are you looking for the best dehumidifier for crawl space settings? From providing better air quality in our homes to protecting electric equipment and eliminating odor, dehumidifiers are an essential appliance. They're also an effective appliance for crawl spaces, particularly for people living in humid climates. This is because high humidity in homes with a crawl space can negatively impact air quality, and thereby the health of those living in the home. To help you find an optimal solution, we're going to take a look at the best dehumidifier for crawl space use.
Benefits of Using a Crawl Space Dehumidifier in Your Home
Crawl space dehumidifiers have many important benefits to your home. First, by eliminating excess moisture, a crawl space dehumidifier will reduce the survival rate of airborne viruses. This will also prevent the formation of bacteria, fungi, and dust mites, lowering the risk of respiratory infections and symptoms associated with allergies and asthma.
A crawl space dehumidifier also helps protect your family's well-being. Dry, clean air means lower risks of developing breathing problems. Your home will be less prone to dust mites and mold, which can help keep allergy symptoms at bay.
Another important reason for you to get a dehumidifier for the crawl space is that it contributes to protecting your home's structure. Humidity levels higher than 28% can lead to wood rot – directly damaging the infrastructure of your home. Any condensation will accelerate the decay of wood in the home!
Lastly, a dehumidifier helps increase the level of comfort in your house. A lot of humidity in the air can make you feel hot and sticky all the time. With a crawl space dehumidifier, you can enjoy cooler, dryer air.
How to Select the Best Dehumidifier for a Crawl Space
There are several tell-tale signs that your home's crawl space needs a dehumidifier. Here are the sure signs of high humidity in your home that can indicate the need for a crawl space dehumidifier:
- Water stains on walls and/or ceilings
- Water pipes, the HVAC system and other ductwork are in the crawl space
- Your home's structural integrity has signs of damage
- A lingering damp. moldy smell in a area of your home
- An increase in unwanted pests including cockroaches, silverfish, and spiders
- You experience symptoms of respiratory illness, like cough and/or runny nose
Best Dehumidifier for Crawl Space
Appliance Accreditor has identified the best dehumidifier for crawl space use to be the ALORAIR 198 PPD, 90 Pints Dehumidifier. It is both an energy-efficient and effective dehumidifier, making it superior to most other crawl space dehumidifiers. This dehumidifier will remove up to 90 pints of humidity per day and will cover an area of up to 2,600 square meters. It also has a pump that will make sure it runs smoothly and efficiently, without the need to manually empty a tank.
Additional features of the ALORAIR dehumidifier include:
- Automatic defrost function. If a frost is detected on the coils, an automatic defrost cycle runs to avoid frost build-up and issues associated with it.
- Rare earth alloy tube evaporator, which extends the life of the coils by maintaining the coil's heat transferability.
- Protect your home electronic and music equipment, and prevent foul odors from humidity-damaged sofas, chairs, and curtains.
- A washable filter with easy access that protects internal components from damage caused by dust and other particles.
The ALORAIR dehumidifier is not only ideal for crawl spaces; you can also use it in the basement, storage areas, garages, or even for commercial use.
2nd Best Dehumidifier for Crawl Space (Runner-Up)
As a close contender, you might also want to look at the Aprilaire 1820 Pro Dehumidifier which comes second. It is also a great dehumidifier for any crawl space as it will effectively cover up to 2,800 square feet. This dehumidifier is the perfect solution for controlling moisture in crawl spaces, protecting against structural damages, pests and mold, as it will remove up to 70 pints of moisture from the air per day.
Being a known and reliable brand, the Aprilaire dehumidifier offers exceptional features:
- This humidifier is built to last. It has corrosion-resistant aluminum coils which is designed and manufactured in the United States.
- No messy water tray to empty
- Easy set-up
- Compact design, it will fit through most crawl space doors, between joists and in other tight spaces
The Aprilaire dehumidifier helps maintain the appropriate level of humidity, making all the difference in how you and your family feel your home.
We hope that you've learned something new with us! Thank you for the time reading our best dehumidifier for crawl space. Be sure to visit our dehumidifier buying article for more relevant information about dehumidifiers and also, don't forget to visit our blog for other appliances reviews and guides.